Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving Dinner Idea: One Sweet Potato

November 24, 2007

I was alone this Thanksgiving, and the big dinner had been highly untraditional: Seafood Gumbo prepared by my sister at her house. Delicious and comforting, it nonetheless left me wanting a little something more in keeping with the season for supper.

I came home to find one sweet potato and an orange in the house. Oh, I had more items, but decided to make a meal of these two finds.

A fan of baked potatoes that are actually baked -- and this includes sweet potatoes -- I set the oven at 350° and pierced the potato all over and smeared it with butter. I let it roast in the oven for about 50 minutes.

In the meantime I combined about two tablespoons of butter with an equal amount of brown sugar and grated the orange rind into it. Then I peeled and sliced the orange into sections and mixed the orange with the creamed butter and sugar.

When the sweet-spud was done, I sliced it down the center and cut it crosswise into chunks and spread it with the orange butter. The result was a perfect meal for one!

You don't have to wait until next Thanksgiving to try this. It's a nice trick for any day of the year, and easy to prepare for as many as you like.

No comments: