Thursday, July 12, 2007

New Fruit

July 12

I am old enough to remember when the nectarine was a new fruit -- unknown to us, anyway. It was so delicious we thought it had to be what it seemed, which was a hybrid between a plum and a peach. Turns out, it wasn't. It was and is a fruit on its own, as old as both the plum and the peach (but bearing a resemblence in texture to the former and in taste to the latter).

The first time I tasted a fresh lychee I thought it tasted like a cross between a pear and a yellow grape, although clearly, from its appearance, it was no relation to either.

Now the New York Times reports new fruits I didn't know existed. I've seen pluots in the produce bins but assumed it a was a marketing name for prune plums, devised as a way to get reluctant consumers to try them. The name put me off more than the moniker "prune plums" would. (Doesn't it mean "tears" in French?)

You have to click on the blue New York Times above to read the rest of the story. I say this because nobody ever does that no matter how diligently I work to put links on both my blogs. It's a short article, very informative -- and if you're interested in new fruits, you'll get some useful information for your daily life.

Now off to stalk a half pound of apriums or plumcots!

No comments: